History of The Lions Club Of Yarrawonga Inc.
This is the start of the history of the Lions Club of Yarrawonga which will grow as the known information is eventually documented and additional pieces come to light.
Below the entry for Dec 1964 is a llist of projects that the Yarrawonga Club has been involved in.
The Lions Club of Yarrawonga was chartered on the 14 September 1964 with 20 Charter Members, but unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, all have since passed away, but their legacy lives on.
The Charter dinner was held on 5th Dec 1964 at the Cypress Garden Motel, Yarrawonga and presided over by Keith (surname unknown) where the Yarrawonga Charter was presented by the then District Governor Neville Gibson to the Yarrawonga Charter President Reg Buchanan.
After the formal part of the meeting was over, the chair was handed to Alec Dennis for the social part of the evening, who asked that:
- Please ensure that the members of the Orchestra are well provided with Liquid and other refreshments.
- Please ensure that the visitors feel at liberty to move about from table to table and circulate freely.
- Make the announcement that any visitors requiring to know the times of Church services to see the Master of Ceremonies.
Dec 1964 Wool Show
The Club was formed at a time when a lot of the members came from the farming community and this is evident by one of the original projects being the annual Wool Show, which is held in conjunction with the local Agricultural Show held in spring. Over the years the Wool Show has been an incredible success and still continues today.
Dec 1964 to Present
Since Carter the Yarrawonga club has been involved in the following projects:
- Operated Mulwala Caravan Park
- Catering/Cleanup Rockalonga
- Swap Meet
- Camp Quality Caper
- Multiple District Convention
- White Elephant Sale
- House Demolition
- Brick-a-Brack Sale
- Wood cutting for Legacy
- Spinning Wheel on Foreshore
- Wood Cutting for Sale
- Glass, Battery & Scrap Metal Sales
- Lions Kiosk in Belmore Street
- Ambulance Base Station Donation
- Yarrawonga Cemetery Gates
- Donated BBQ for Foreshore
- Donation for Building of Civic Centre
- Donated Wheelchair lift for Vehicle.
- Blue Light Discos
- Donation for Swimming Pool
- Inland Boat & Water Show Security
- Donated a Mini-Bus for Community Use
- Bagged Sheep Manure
- Children's Playground in Lansell Close.
- Catering at Lake and Leisure Show
- Catering at Speedboat Races
- Stamp Collecting
- Grocery Grab
- Mower races
- Sponsored Variety Bash Contestant
- Sponsored Kids to Licola
- Tornado Disaster Relief
- Mulwala Rotunda
- Pause for Paws
- 2016 Community Organization of the Year for "Made with Love - Free Chemo Turban Project"
- Donation Yarrawonga Health
- Donation - Show Society
 The Lions International Association of Lions Clubs, Yarrawonga charter.
 Procedure for Charter Night (minutes) Lions Club of Yarrawonga Sat 5th Dec 1964